Wednesday 8 February 2012

Untitled #3

I DO NOT DO DRUGS
But there was this one time
A few years back
When I was wandering through
The Peak District
Strung out on acid
In genuine belief that my hands
Were made of paint
That was a good time
I remember thinking that
These paths were mine
Untrod by any other before me
The first in a long line
Of Yorkshire’s explorers
That was shattered when I caught
A Coke can hidden
In the fractured road
(Like a Skittle or a Smartie
Found squashed inside your sofa
When looking for the remote
Made more perplexing
Because you’ve not had
Skittles or Smarties for years)
When I caught that
Can of Coke
I thought someone’s playing
A practical joke
On me
I must be
The only person to have trod this path
Obviously I wasn’t
Because I’m walking along a path.

No comments: